Establishing Why One’s Claim Matters

ESTABLISHING WHY ONE’S CLAIM MATTERS

Review Baldwin. Start with this template and fill in the blanks. “I’m a New Yorker, and Baldwin’s loss of his childhood neighborhood reminds me of my own neighborhood’s changes.” Another might say, “I’m a Harlem resident, and this topic matters to me because I want children in my community to be safe and gentrification does not seem to help.” Use the template, “I’m ___________, and this topic matters to me because __________.” Use this sheet. Select one or two you think you’d like to share with your classmates. Enjoy!

ESTABLISHING WHY ONE’S CLAIM MATTERS REVISITED

Review your freewriting from last week. Review either Alexie or Baldwin, “I’m a student, and X’s point that ______ reminds of my own challenges in school to learn how to _____.” Another might say, “I’m an educator, and this topic matters to me because I want children in my community to be _______ as they grow up.” Use the template, “I’m ___________, and this topic matters to me because __________.” Use this sheet. Select one or two you think you’d like to share with your classmates. Enjoy!